Take 15 minutes just for you
Take some time to today just for you. Even if it is just 15 minutes, do something you love as a celebration of the fabulous person that you are. It might be meditation, reading, a hobby, anything that allows us to learn, renew, refresh or reflect. Those fifteen minutes will make you a better leader, team member, parent. They will make you a better person. How will you spend your 15 minutes today, whether it is your birthday or not? ……..
If today isn’t your birthday, read the rest of this now, (and feel free to do one of these suggestions), but also, put a reminder in your calendar to read this post again the day before your next birthday (and hey, why not make it a recurring note and read it every year) . . .
- Eat your favourite food.
- It’s your day – you deserve it. Even if your favourite foods don’t “go together,” they do today. Enjoy!
- Do a favourite childhood activity.
- Maybe it was a board game, or playing tag, or doodling. Whatever it was, do it today! Do it as a way to reignite your inner child and your creativity. Do it for the pure enjoyment. You will be amazed at how it will make you feel.
- Remember your favourite birthday.
- If you have a particular birthday that sticks out to you, spend time thinking about it and revelling in those memories.
- Laugh out loud.
- Do something that makes you laugh with delight! Laughter feels good and is good for you. Perhaps one of the other ideas on this list will make you laugh out loud – if so, great!
- Give a gift to someone else.
- We all know it feels better to give than receive, so why not give gifts to others on our birthday? Consider starting with your psrents – after all they had a more memorable day when you were born than you did!
- Give your day away!
- You don’t have to give a physical gift, you can give your time – to someone you love, to a charity or whatever you wish! Make your day a gift to someone else.
- Give yourself the gift of time.
- Sometimes our days are so packed with events and tasks that we don’t have time for ourselves. Consider giving yourself the gift of time for your own rest and relaxation (or the time to do another item on this list!). It doesn’t have to be a long time – think about the 15 minute tip I suggested above.
- Send yourself a card.
- A few days or weeks before your birthday find a card you love, sign it and write yourself a note. Then address and stamp the envelope and ask someone to mail it to you a couple of days before your birthday. This is a great way to guarantee a card, and I promise it will make you smile.
- Spend time with someone you love.
- This might overlap with a couple of other ideas on the list – but that’s OK. What could make for a better day than spending time with those you care about the most?
- Make a memory.
- Challenge yourself to create memories today that will last a lifetime.
- Reflect on the last year.
- Your birthday is a milestone, so it can be a great day to review your results and actions of the past year to see how you have done and determine what is working – and what isn’t!
- Set some new goals.
- Today is a perfect day to look forward, to project into the future, to set goals for the next twelve months. If you don’t have written goals, today is a perfect day to create them!
Best wishes from the Newfangled Ideas Team